Posted by : Varun Doshi
On : 26 November 2014
Comments : 0
Views : 2908
With more and more cases of Dengue coming up each day, it is very important to be updated and educated about it.
Dengue is a vector borne disease spread by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. Due to the black and white stripes on their legs, they are commonly known as Tiger mosquitoes. The infection is due to the Dengue virus, which is a Flavivirus . Dengue infection causes Dengue Fever, Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever and Dengue Shock Syndrome. Both DHF and DSS are usually fatal.
Dengue is a virus.
There 4 types of different serotypes of the dengue virus.
- Serotype dengue virus 1
- Serotype dengue virus 2
- Serotype dengue virus 3
- Serotype dengue virus4
If person get infected with any type of Serotype he can get infected with dengue.
1 Dengue fever
2 Dengue haemorrhagic fever
3 Dengue shock syndrome
2 and 3 can be life threatening
Below are some myths about dengue:
1) Platelet transfusion is the solution for the treatment for dengue?
- NO. If required then only platelet transfusion is done, but it does not kill the virus
2) It can occur only once in life ?
- No. It can occur multiple times
3) Dengue fever is similar to viral fever ?
- No. It is not the same.
To stay protected from dengue one must follow the below steps:
- Stop accumulation of fresh stagnant water for 7 days at one place.
- Keep check for small moving living particles in water, if found then they might be larvae of mosquito. Change the water immediately.
- Can use oil to layer water to prevent mosquito from laying eggs in water.
- Use insect repellent on curtains to reduce mosquito coming inside house.
- Look for places in your house and surrounding where water gets accumulated for breeding spots.
Washroom, Washing area, Water tanks, Plant pots, AC trays, Feng shui plants, Fish tank, Balcony or places where plastic sheets are used to prevent rain water.
Below are some helpful tips for patients suffering from dengue
1 Drink minimum 2 liter of water every day.
2 Drink pomegranate juice everyday.
3 Drink papaya leaf juice extract twice in a day will help in maintaing platelet.
4 Do check platelet count everyday.
5 Tell all the signs and symptoms to the Doctor.
6 Platelet transfusion only helps in maintaing platelet when it reaches at danger levels, it does not help in killing virus .
7 While suffering from dengue fumigate your house and work place immediately.
8 Take rest after discharge for atleast 1 week.
Sign and Symptoms of Dengue:
FEVER and two of either
1 NAUSEA OR VOMITING
3 ACHES AND PAIN (HEADACHE,MYALGIA,ARTHRALGIA )
4 TOURNIQUET TEST POSITIVE
6 ANY WARNING SIGN
1 ABDOMINAL PAIN OR TENDERNESS
2 PERSISTENT VOMITING
3 CLINICAL FLUID ACCUMULATION
4 MUCOSAL BLEEDING
5 LETHARGY , RESTLESSNESS
6 LIVER ENLARGEMENT
7 INCREASE IN PACKED CELL VOLUME CONCURRENT WITH RAPID FALL IN PLATELET COUNT
Aedes aegypti mosquito facts and identification.
1 Black and white stripes on the legs.
2 Lyre on the thorax part of the body.
3 They lay on an average 100 eggs.
4 They can lay 3 times eggs in their life span.
5 They can live for 7-10 days.
6 Female mosquito bites for blood meals to human beings.
7 They breed in CLEAN STAGNANT water normally .
8 If the mosquito is infected with virus then next progeny will also be infected with virus from the birth.
9 Peak time of biting by this mosquito is early morning and sunset, although they can bite at any time through out the day and night.
Lets share this basic knowledge to our near and dear ones and play our part in controlling dengue.