Posted by : DrHemapriya
On : 17 February 2016
Comments : 1
Views : 2122
There are a lot of myths surrounding eye health. So let’s see the facts:
There is a common misconception that eye problems usually affect elderly and many parents even now are very reluctant to accept that their kids need to wear glasses for clear vision.Contrary to this many eye problems occur in children,and they need a periodic eye examination more so than adults as children are in the sensitive period of eye development and if problems are not identified and treated early it may result in irreversible visual loss.
Many people tend to think that children need spectacles because of watching television closely. Refractive errors occur because of variations in size and curvature of the eyeball and not due to nutritional deficiency or watching TV.
There are many times, we tell the kids to quit watching TV closely or scold them for playing cross eyed games.These habits though annoying, don’t actually damage vision. Kids with normal vision can see well from a few inches to about 20 feet away. Of course, if your child constantly keeps things close to her face, then it is good to get an eye check up.
There is a also misconception that only children of parents with refractive error need spectacles or glasses and has poor eyesight(1). Though there is a genetic predisposition,sometimes they also occur in children without a family history. Not necessarily children of parents with refractive errors will have eyesight problems, myopia, refractive errors and need glasses.
So an eye examination is a must in all normal kids at three years of age.
There is also a myth that squinting is lucky for the person. This is really bad, because parents don’t get early eye checkup for these kids and by the time, they do get an eye examination it is too late, these problems need to be treated before the age 6-8, when child loses his binocular vision (ability to see as object with both eyes)
Carrot are rich in beta carotene and are an essential nutrient for eye health. But that doesn't mean that that if you don't eat carrots you will have to wear glasses (i.e suffer from refractive errors) or if you eat lots of carrots you don't have to wear glasses.
Refractive errors (8) occur in children due to the following reasons
1. The eyeball being smaller or larger.
2. The corneal curvature being steeper or flatter.
3. Increase or decrease in the power of lens.
1. Normally your pediatrician will check baby’s eyes by around 6 week, at that point they look for the red reflex and any obvious eye problems like opacity and pupillary reflex.The red reflex can also be tested at home, by taking a picture of your baby in dimly lit room with their eyes open, using a flash- both eyes should show a equal red reflex. If there is a difference between the eyes or any white or gray reflex warrants immediate eye examination.
2. For all children, at about 3 years of eye, it is ideal to have an eye examination. Checking vision is as important as vaccination for your kids.
3. If there are no problems, then the child will probably need to be checked every two years there after.
4. If there is an eye disorder in the family or the child has a general illness or born prematurely or has obvious eye problem, need to seek help earlier.
It is also called ‘lazy eye’, is poor vision development at the brain level when the brain receives insufficient sensory input from an eye that has a defect in it .Amblyopia is described as the leading cause of preventable vision loss in children.If not detected by age 6 years(sensitive period) amblyopia is often, if not impossible to reverse.
Misaligned or cross eyes. Can lead to amblyopia if not corrected early
Congenital / Acquired can result in abnormal head posture/amblyopia/ astigmatism
It is the cloudiness or opacity of the lens. It can be due to infections in the antenatal period (or) part of systemic diseases.
It can be seasonal or perennial conjunctivitis resulting in redness,itching,burning sensation.
It can be due to viral or bacterial and results in swollen red eyes with discharge and irritation.
It is the inflammation of the lids.
It is the swelling on the eyelids due to blocked meibomian glands.In case of recurrent stye we have to rule out refractive errors,allergy,blepharitis or even diabetes.
It results in watering eyes due to obstructed lacrimal drainage system. It can be congenital and is mostly resolved in the first year with sac massage.
I am Dr. Hemapriya,. I am a medical doctor by profession, no longer in active medical practice as my two little moppets keep me pretty much busy. But, this has not stopped me from putting my medical knowledge to good use. At MyLittleMoppet, I bring my medical knowledge to address parenting issues for new and recent mommies.